We graduated the Tube-Switching Challenge – Tuesday, October 1st

We intentionally left our last full day in London unplanned, which was actually a potentially dangerous decision on our part. Why? The ladies decided that we should pop over to Harrods Department Store, known as one of the most luxurious department stores in the world. It’s amazing!

To get there involved a sophisticated Tube Switch maneuver. The ladies spent several minutes back in the flat reviewing their Tube maps to determine the best routes. We walked to the Oxford Circus entrance, Barry and I “topped off” our Oyster Cards, and we were ready to go. Started on the Victoria Line down to Green Park; changed to the Picdadilly Line and went two stops to KnightsBridge, popped up to the surface, turned left and found Harrods. Whew! Piece of cake.


Our primary objective was the famed/”awesome” Harrods Food Court. A simple Wow is justified here, and we spent most of our alloted time in this area. We individually spent time wandering the store, which was an experience in itself. There were almost as many sales floor people as there were customers! Barry came across, but didn’t buy, an 80″ ultra-high definition TV for a mere $35,000.

The return trip via the tube was almost second nature. We made two stops once we popped to the surface at Oxford Circus. The first was to experience Fish & Chips, so we stopped at Garfunkels, which we had targeted earlier in the stay. The deep-fried haddock and chips (french fries) also came with roasted lemon, tartar sauce and “mushy peas”. And, we all sampled another local beer. The fish – eh. The chips – OK – applied some vinegar to them, in addition to catsup. Mushy peas – not bad, actually. Each couple shared a “sticky toffee pudding” serving for desert – not bad.

The last stop was John Lewis on Oxford Street – for which we partook of their reputable food court (super market) multiple times throughout our visit for wine, cheese, prepared dinners, fruits and vegetables. We were so full from our Garfunkel’s visit that we decided to eat in for our last dinner. Very good food.

While heating the dinner, Marion and I dumped and shared pictures – almost 4,500 of them – from cameras and smart phones. The ladies also confirmed our pickup times with the driver, and checked in with the airlines. The wireless router in the flat got a LOT of activity during our stay, and performed like a champ. We had two laptops, 3 iPads, one Kindle, and 4 smart phones. Are we hip or what? We all started packing, too. As things quieted down after Alison and Barry headed for bed, Marion donated a reasonable amount of her time bringing me up-to-speed, sort of, with The Master Genealogist program. Ugh. There is so much work to do!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *